Although this is a sausage stew, it's just as much about the vegetables. Broccoli, courgettes, green beans, aubergine, sweetcorn - you can use pretty much anything. If you want to use the sausages whole rather in pieces, fry them for longer before adding the next ingredients.
- 6-8 thick sausages - chopped into thirds
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 3 potatoes - chopped small, or 1 tin new potatoes - drained and chopped
- 3 carrots - roughly chopped, or 1 tin carrots - drained
- ¼ cup rice or 1/2 cup macaroni
- 1½ cups of water
- 1 onion - chopped
- Some mushrooms
- A head of broccolli - roughly broken up
- Other vegetables - smallish bits
- 1 stock cube
- Salt and pepper
Fry the sausage pieces in their own juice, until starting to brown. Add the carrots and onion and fry for a few more minutes. Add the rice and stir throroughly, coating every grain. Add the water, potatoes, broccolli, other vegetables, tomatoes and herbs and crumble in the stock cube. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is done and most, but not all of the liquid has evaporated. Season and serve.